Re: cannot startx

Hi Maxwell,

It turned out that my /usr/X11 directory wasn't in the PATH.  Thanks for your help.

Marek.

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Maxwell Bottiger <sleepylight@jive-turkey.net>
To: newbie@XFree86.Org
Subject: Re: cannot startx

There are two probable explanations.  Either startx is not installed (or
built) or it may not be on your path.  Although my X came pre-compiled you
can try looking for the executable under /usr/X11R6/bin (That's where mine
is).  Try typing /usr/X11R6/bin/startx to load X.

Another (remote) possiblity is that for whatever reason startx doesn't
have the executable bit turned on.  If the file is there and it still says
"command not found" you can always run "chmod 744 /usr/X11R6/bin/startx"
as root to make it executable.

If the file is just plain not there someone else will have to help you.

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 marek.sleczka@optusnet.com.au wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have installed Linux Gentoo 1.2 on my machine.  Then I downloaded all Xfree
> binaries and installed X using Xinstall.sh.  However when trying to run startx
I get