Re: Re: ct65545 - (WW) CHIPS(0): Failed to set up write-combiningrange (0x3e00000,0x100000)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Markus Klein wrote:

> > > I need to run XFree4 on my very old little laptop. Until now I just ran
> > > XFree3 and this worked fine. But with XFree4 my LCD screen always becomes
> > > white (slowly.. about 1 or 2 secondes) after X startup. It is like the screen
> > > is overcharging but X doesn't break. I always have to kill X with
> > > CTRL-ALT-BCKSPC.

> > > I also kept my old XFree3 config and set all the modelines, hsync, vsync and
> > > everything in the new XF86Config-4 (with option "use modelines", etc..). It
> > > didn't help. I tried every ct6xxxx chipset with xf86config. Always the same
> > > result: the screen goes white-blank. Only the generic VESA-compatible worked.
> > > But it is unusable because it's too slow.

> > > When I run XFree86 -configure then I get a long XFree86.0.log file in
> > > /var/log/.
> > > I just cite some parts to show how it looks like:

> > No.  The *complete* logs (as plain text attachments) would be more
> > informative.

> It doesn't want two logs at one time. It's too big. So I send one after the other.
>  OK. This time the whole logs (of "XFree86 -configure" first):

These logs show a couple of different, but potentially related, problems.
So let's start with the first one that occurs (PCI mis-detection).

First off, what's in this machine (CPU, etc.)?  I'll hazard a guess that
it's a 386SX or 486SX (the ones without an integrated math coprocessor)
with a separate Weitek math coprocessor.  Furthermore, it has no PCI bus.
Is that correct?

Secondly, add 'Option "PciOsConfig"' in the ServerFlags section of the
XF86Config you managed to generate.  Then reboot and try again.  Please
let me know what happens, good or bad.

Thanks.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@ualberta.ca          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |