RE: Intel 82810E Graphics Controller (4 Mbps)

Steven;

I think you have greatly over-complicated things by using the VM. I have an 810 chipset on my Dell that worked fine with XWindows, right out of the box. It is a dual-boot W2K/RedHat7.1 box.

If you work up the courage to do an install of linux on a partition of your existing machine, I think you will find that there is no problem with XWindows. I believe it is the "middleman" VM that is causing the problems.

If you are scared to go repartitioning your main machine, bear in mind that linux works fine on an older machine, the kind most companies are happy to give away after a few years' use.

Here are a couple links to get you started:

http://www.northernjourney.com/opensource/newbies/
www.redhat.com/advice/tips/

Also, don't be scared of the text mode command line! Linux is very powerful from the command line, and most linux classes don't even work in the GUI until the intermediate to advanced level.

Good Luck!

TL