Xfree86 4.2.0 upgrade

I just did an upgrade to my slack 8.0 system to 8.1.  I deleted the
entire /usr, /etc/X11, and /lib/X11R6 directories.  I had version 4.1.0
installed but wanted to do the upgrade along with kde 3.0.  The problem
I'm having is I can't get the X server to start.  The error is stating
that the modules, bitmap and pcidata, have newer minor versions than the
server.   I've checked the xfree86.log and it's saying that the minor
numbers are indeed 1 number higher.  I can't find out where to update
the loader abi version information to allow the system to start.  I can
get the X server to start if I initiate it as X -ignoreABI.  But, by
doing that I can't get the KDE manager started.  I did re-load version
4.1.0 and it did bring up the system, but it seemed crippled.  not sure
what I can do next without actually slicking the whole system and
starting from scratch.

Mike