Radeon 7500 success

I'm writing this in hopes that it will preemptively
solve some users' problems with the Radeon 7500 under
Linux. These instruction should map fairly closely to
Free/Net/OpenBSD, too, but I haven't tried.

The system I did this on was a dual AthlonMP 1800+ on
a Tyan Tiger MP motherboard, using the dualhead/DVI
Radeon 7500 card, ordered directly from ATi.

First, install a recent Linux kernel. I'm using
2.4.19, though 2.4.17/18 should work too. Make sure
that the relevant AGPGART drivers and DRM drivers are
compiled in. Modules will work, but will require extra
steps (X should load them automagically, but I've had
trouble with this in the past.) In my case, the
relevant drivers were DRM Radeon, and AGPGART AMD 760.

Next, install XFree86 4.2.0. I installed from sources,
and I strongly recommend that anyone upgrading to
XFree86 4.2.0 in order to support Radeon cards does
the same. Build instructions can be found in the
archives.

The XF86Config-4 that I used can be found attached. It
is bzipped.

With this configuration, DRI and Xv work. I haven't
tried Xinerama yet because I don't have a second
monitor handy, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

HTH,
Eric