howto update ONLY radeon_drv for Dell dual head

Is it possible to update only the radeon_drv.o file
from CVS?  (I want to get the fixes for the Dell OEM
card)  It seems safer and easier to stick with mostly
4.2.0 rather than build a CVS snapshot of the entire
distribution.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. download and extract X420src-1.tgz
2. overwrite files in
   xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common
   xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati
with copies from the CVS HEAD.
3. start a "make World" from xc so that a Makefile is
deposited in the ati directory
4. cd ....../ati; make

I notice:
radeon_driver.c: In function
`RADEONGetBIOSParameters':
radeon_driver.c:754: warning: implicit declaration of
function `xf86ReadDomainMemory'

5. cp radeon_drv.o and ati_drv.o to
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

6. I get an ABI mismatch error so I startx with --
-ignoreABI, which seems dangerous.

7. Still only get one head working :(
From the log, I assume the problem is:
(WW) RADEON: More than one matching Device section for
instances
	(BusID: PCI:1:0:0) found: ATI Radeon VE 1

Indeed I -have- specified two devices with the same
BusID, since that's how it works with my old Matrox
Dual Head card.  Commenting out the BusID lines in
hopes that it magically figures them out leads to
these unresolved symbols which prevent me from
starting X:

xf86CreateI2CBusRec, xf8I2CBusInit,
xf86ReadDomainMemory

Is there any chance of getting this working?   What
other files must I recompile?  It's the Dell OEm
Radeon VE with one DVI-I connector driving two DVI-D
flat panels.

Thanks,
Ken