Re: [Dri-users] Radeon 8500 support

Adam Luchjenbroers (by way of Adam Luchjenbroers ) wrote:
> I am considering purchasing an ATi Radeon 8500 graphics card. Checking the
> info on the XFree86 and DRI websites tells me Radeons are supported but does
> not inform me as to which ones (Radeon, Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500, etc).

The "old" radeons and the 7500, which is technically very similar, are
well supported by the DRI. The 8500 cards are supported by the latest
bleeding-edge code in the r200-branch of the cvs-repository.

> I am enquiring about whether or not the 8500 is supported and, if it is,
>  could people who currently own a Radeon please comment on the quality of
>  said support.

I have a 8500, and I'm using the r200-0-1-branch from cvs. 3D is quite
nice concerning speed, but far from being stable for my system. Apps
like q3a usually lockup within a few seconds for me. Simpler stuff like
gears, glx-screensavers etc. seem to work better.
Other users, however, have reported a lot better results, so your
mileage may vary.
There is ongoing development on all drivers, so I'm optimistic that
stability will improve in the future.

If you are in desperate need of 3D under Linux, you can also give ATi's
closed-source FireGL-drivers a shot, which also work with 8500 cards.

Hope this helps you a bit

Stefan