change the background of the Xserver and the 'X' cursor of the Xserver

    I have a question which has been puzzling me for a long time.
    I want to change the background of the Xserver and the 'X' cursor of
the Xserver.I have found a
way to change it by running the command "xsetroot".But it will show a flash
screen(background of the Xserver and the 'X' cursor) when I start the
Xwindows. So I want to change the XFree86 source code,
but I cann't find the resource of background and the cursor.Do you know
which file include the resource?