Re: how to X over the network?

Not sure about the docs, but here is what you basically need to understand
before you proceed:

X consists of 2 components - X server and X client

X server (contrary to what most people unfamiliar with it expect) is the
part that the enduser is sitting in front of. It is the piece that actually
displays the graphical data. It is also sometimes refered to as the
"display". XFree86, eXceed, OpenWindows, X-Win32 and VNCServer (somewhat
special case) are all examples of X Servers.

X client on the other hand is the application that is trying to use the X
server. For example if you are running an X based application (say Mozila)
you would log into the remote machine and run mozila and tell it to use your
local computer as the server. For most X client applications you can specify
the server by either setting DISPLAY variable in your environment or passing
an option at run time. Usually the option is "--display <server>". <server>
will look like this: "machine:#" , where "machine" indicates the resolvable
name of a machine or ip (implied localhost if omited) and # is the display #
on that machine (usually 0)

There are a few more details to this, but the above are all the essentials.

Here is a quickie howto test:

Log into a computer with xserver (be that a Windwos or Linux box )

Make sure the X-server is running and that security is off (for testing
purposes) on linux box you can usually just type in "xhost +" command to
disable security - not a great thing to do but you can learn about X access
control later.

Telnet/ssh/rlogin to a remote computer (make sure there are no firewalls
etc. between the computers, best done on local network)

Run an X-Client ( a good one is xterm or xclock) with option --display IP:0
(where IP is the IP of the machine you are sitting in front of).

The X-Client from a remote machine should pop up on the local display.

After you get a hang of these things, you might want to look into SSH (which
offers semi-secure way to tunnel X connections, xauth, which is the security
part of the X-windows, and XDM (X Display Manager) - which is a neat little
app that lets you log into a remote machine as if you were sitting in front
of it (bascially by redirecting your entire session , windows manager and
all,  instead of individual applications)

Have fun.