Re: Fatal server error - could not open default cursor font 'cursor'

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:58:24AM +0100, SilentBob wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm running Debian on an AMD athlon with a Nvidia GeForce 2 mmx and am
> having problems with X. Either from booting or from running /etc/init.d/gdm
> start, the X server will start, display the Nvidia logo and then reset and
> try to start again until it is killed with /etc/init.d/gdm stop. The last
> entry in /var/log/xfree86.0.log is
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default cursor font 'cursor'
>
> below is the complete log:

There was a bug in the xfonts-artwiz package, I believe, which used dpkg
diversions to essentially clobber the real cursor package.  I suggest
removing the xfonts-artwiz package and re-installing xfonts-base.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    You can have my PGP passphrase when
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you pry it from my cold, dead