how to get global key release events (from within a Qt/KDE app) ?

Hi,

I need to get global key release events in my app, i.e. also if none of the
windows of my app has focus.
My app is based on Qt/KDE and I am able to get the key press events, but not
the release events.
I read some things about input masks, grabbing keys, and so on, but I don't
really understand what I have to do.
Can somebody please shed some light on me about key grabbing, input masks and
stuff ?

My app runs in a modified version of wm2 (even more stripped down), so I
would also be able to modify the window manager if this is required.

Thanks
Alex