X Configurator Problems

Hello everyone!

As a LINEX newbie I hope I can find some useful advise from fellow users
concerning configuring the X window environment.

I recently installed Hed Hat 7 on an IBM Pentium 120 (40 RAM) with a IBM G40
monitor and Trident video chip. The system worked beautifully in graphics
mode for about a month.

One day I started up the system and was informed that the CMOS battery was
dead so I replaced it and returned the system to factory defaults which I
have never changed.

I booted up the system and when I came to the X windows login screen my
mouse and keyboard were completely locked out. The system froze and there
were no LED indicators acive. The keyboard was dead.

I reinstalled LINEX but could only use the text mode. Linus installed ok for
text mode operation but every time I run XConfigurator it fails to work even
though it has correctly identified the Trident card (actually a graphics
co-processor on the motherboard) and the monitor model.

I have been using LINUX in text mode for a week now. Although this is not my
main computer I wanted to learn about the LINEX and I have learned a great
deal about the OS but I would rather have the GUI back.

Why does it not work now? Does it have something to do with video memory (1
Meg)? I have tried tweeking the config file and I was able to get a low
resolution VGA screen but the image was to large and only displayed a few
words on a some page I could not understand. The mouse and keyboard did not
work here either.

Has anyone run into a situation like this?

Thanks

David N. Christenson