Re: Re: Re: Virge GX (Derek Smith)

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Derek Smith wrote:

> Which means I have gone full circle back to the original question: How do I
> tell it to run X3 and not X4? I try to remove X4 rpms and I can't because of
> dependencies. Can I just use the RPM "upgrade"  in order to go from 4 to 3?
>
> Ahhh...so many questions!
[snip] <----- note that trimming and selectively quoting included messages
is good list etiquette.  The reason is that it reduces the number of bytes
that have to be downloaded ( a big issue for those on 56K dial-up
connections) and makes it easier to see specifically what is beiing
replied to.

RedHat 7.x uses a tool called Xconfigurator.  With this you can specify
"Xconfigurator --preferxf3".  IIRC what this does is it symlinks
/usr/X11R6/bin/X to the appropriate version of XFree86.

Details will vary for whatever *NIX/*BSD distro you are running, but the
bottom line is that wherever the standard place for the "X" binary is
supposed to be on your system, it must either be replaced with the 3.3.6
that you wish to run, or else symlinked to the 3.3.6 binary that you wish
to run.

Oisin Feeley