From: newbie-admin@XFree86.Org [mailto:newbie-admin@XFree86.Org]On
Behalf Of Jad Nehman
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:25 AM
To: newbie@XFree86.Org
Subject: Video card problem

Hi,
I am having a BIT of a problem with my video card.

Problem:
--------
When I tried installing RedHat 7.3 through graphical mode, I could not see
the whole screen so for example the Next button was not visible for me to
use the mouse and click it. So I installed it using text mode.

When I log on to Gnome or KDE , a similar problem happens again.
When I start up Netscape, I can't see the "Accept " button and everything is
too big. The funny thing is that the Gnome Panel is smaller than usual and
not all the default icons are there such as Netscape ( I know I can add it
but i am not sure why it is happening)

Info:
---------------
The video card is a S3 Savage 294 (Chip id: 8C12).
I had a look at the ROM on the card and looked it up to determine the size
of the RAM and it 4 MB.
Monitor: Gold Star (http://www.lgeservice.com/1505s.html)

Attempted Solutions:
-------------------
1) I changed the video card to see if it could be a mother board problem and
it is not ( could the combination of the motherboard and the card cause a
problem?)

2)I tried running Xconfigurator from Gnome/KDE but even the lowest
resolution does not seem to display anything so i ran it from the shell
prompt by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1(Is it possible to run Xconfigurator from
Gnome/KDE properly?)

>From the shell prompt when I test the X Configuration I can't seem to be
able to get a proper looking desktop.Eventhough I couldn't get a proper
desktop from the test, I tried to go ahead with some different resolutions,
for example one where my desktop has got the Netscape icon in the Panel but
eventhough things still look big :) , when I restart Linux, it goes back to
the Old configuration ! not sure why.
I also tried xf86config with no luck.
I tried changing the run level to 3 and loged in text mode, I ran
Xconfigurator and ran startx and still the old configuration comes up.

3)I had a look at :
http://www.probo.com/timr/savagemx.html
but couldn't find detailed information on how to do things such as
installing a new driver ...

Few Random questions:
---------------------
1) How do you know what version of XFree86 is installed?
if /etc/X11/X is pointing to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA  then it is 3.3.6 and
it it point to XFree86 it is 4.x ?

2)Is it true  that some of the latest versions of xfree86 do not support
some of the old cards? My card is listed on :
http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/savage.4.html
Should I still install an old version ?

3)I wanted to double check the RAM on the video card through SuperProbe but
couldn't find it, is it still available.

I hope I didn't ask too many questions ! did I ? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Jad