Re: X-Windows loads every time linux boots

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:33:38 +0200
"Hendrik Fourie" <hendrikf@webmail.co.za> wrote:

> When I first installed Red Hat 7.2, the installer asked me whether I
> wanted  X-Windows to start automatically every time it boots, and at
> the time I said yes, because working with X-Windows seemed easier to
> work with and get used to (I dual boot with Windows 98 on my other
> hdd), however after a few days I feel ready to start working almost
> exclusively in the command prompt environment and only start
> X-Windows when I need to. How do I change the boot procedure so that
> it does not load at startup. I am using XFree86 and in order to
> update it to the latest version, I will need to exit and not have it
> running.

Look for the file /etc/inittab and change this line:

id:5:initdefault:

change the 5 to a 3 and you should be golden

The runlevels should be documented in that file.

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie@rudie.net     |  rudie@sihope.com
hinz0047@tc.umn.edu | http://rudie.net