X and ATI

Hello Mirek,

  MV> I was wondering how extensive is support for the Ati
    > video boards, because I have heard Linux systems such
    > as Debian (which I have) do not handle these kind of
    > cards very well...

My understanding is that for graphics modes the display
drivers are part of X rather than the underlying operating
system.  It's possible that you heard from someone who had a
bad experience trying to configure X.  Perhaps the Linux
distribution they tried had poor support for X.  I'm not a
Linux user so I couldn't say.

What I can say is that I've had great experience with ATI
cards.  We had some Zenith machines that came with ATI video
including (if I remember rightly) a 486 based machine with
Mach-8 accelleration and a Pentium equivalent with Mach-32.
I was pleased with those, so when the time came to buy a
display adaptor for a new machine I was building, I had no
qualms buying an ATI Xpert98 PCI.  It feels lightning-fast
with the X Window system on NetBSD - I'm using the Mach-64
support.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.