[Newbie]xfree86 4.2.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.3

I am feeling really frustrated, and like I really
belong in this category.

I acquired a download of Red Hat 7.3, and installed it
on a Compaq 4528.  Anaconda finds a driver card as
S3Trio64V2, which seems to match my expectations when
the box ran Windoze.

It will not run when I issue the startx command, or
telinit 5 as root.  I tried installs as workstation,
hoping to get X set up, and Server, lastly trying
Custom and selecting everything.  Even suspecting a
possible issue with my Envision EN-LM500 LCD monitor,
I substitued a Compaq MV700.

In this last mode, it says "I cannot start the X
server (your graphical interface).  It is likely that
it is not set up correctly.  Would you like me to try
to run the X configuration program?"  As root, I
select "yes", and it is not successful, disabling the
X server for now, indicating I should restart GDM when
it is configured correctly.

So to see what is going on, I run Xconfigurator,
4.10.7, which givs a segmentation fault.

Red Hat 7.1 ran successfully on this machine, but I
think that was 3.3.6.  I even reinstalled Red Hat 7.1,
and upgraded, when I had my LCD monitor on the
machine.  It boots OK with the logo, but it "migrated"
my Gnome settings.  When complete, the top half of the
monitor was black, and the bottom half was filled with
about 1/4 of the login message box.  The geometry was
confused, I believe.

I have a friend who installed RH 7.3, Custom with
everything, and his works.  Lucky him.

I am not sure how to proceed.  I think in all cases I
selected 8 bit color with 1024x768 rather than the
800x600, except in one fit of frustration, which also
did not work.  I did not see any likely candidates on
the 4.2.0 errata list.

A hopeful user,
Mark A. Baldridge