[Newbie]LAPTOP INSPIRON 2600

Yes.  Didn't work.  The i810 driver fails trying to initialize ring
buffers in all instances, and the svga driver fails for resolutions over
640x480.

Mike

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Lionel Lecoq was heard whispering through the Net:

lionel>Have you tried adding
lionel>VideoRam    8192
lionel>to your device section?
lionel>Lionel
lionel>--- Mike Newell <mnewell@spottydogs.org> wrote:
lionel>> I had the exact same problem and posted to the list with no response.  I
lionel>> ended up doing a lot of research and it actually has been touched on in
lionel>> the past.
lionel>>
lionel>> The problem appears to be with the way Dell's BIOS works.  It allocates
lionel>> 1MB of memory to each of the i810 graphics controllers (there are two
lionel>> separate controllers - one for the laptop display and one for the monitor
lionel>> port).  Apparently there's memory to allow at least 8MB but there's no way
lionel>> to tell the BIOS to do this and the various XFree86 drivers don't (the
lionel>> Windoze drivers of course do).  So....
lionel>>
lionel>> You're left with only 1MB of memory for the video buffer, which only
lionel>> supports 640x480 resolution in high color.  I think you can get 1024x768
lionel>> in some low color mode but that's not useful.  Until the i810 driver guys
lionel>> figure out how to do this (or someone else hacks away until they do)
lionel>> you're stuck.  I've spent some time on it but haven't gotten far.  Clearly
lionel>> it's possible since Windoze does it, but...
lionel>>
lionel>> BTW, notice I said there are two controllers in the Inspiron.  You can run
lionel>> them either in tandem or separately; under Windoze I run them as two
lionel>> separate displays (click on the second display in the properties window
lionel>> and check the "extend the destop to this device" box).  This allows you to
lionel>> "spread" your desktop over the display AND monitor, which turns out to be
lionel>> a Really Good Thing (tm).  X should be able to do it too.
lionel>>
lionel>> Mike
lionel>>
lionel>> a.bija>I bought an inspiron 2600 dell laptop.But I got some problem installing
lionel>> a.bija>X on it.
lionel>> a.bija>The grakhic card mentioned Nvidia GeForce2 but it is a intell chipset(
lionel>> a.bija>Maybe it is compatiblw with Nvidia).SuSe 8 said that it is a i810 and it
lionel>> a.bija>worked with it but just in 640 x480 :(
lionel>> a.bija>I tried installing nvidia driver but it could not find the device, I
lionel>> a.bija>think becouse the vendor signature is different(Shall I force it? how?)
lionel>> a.bija>Can you help me please
lionel>> a.bija>I am not a member of mailing list please send it to my mailbox!
lionel>> a.bija>really thanks!
lionel>> a.bija>Arash
lionel>> a.bija>
lionel>> a.bija>--
lionel>> a.bija> ,           ,
lionel>> a.bija> /             \
lionel>> a.bija>((__-^^-,-^^-__))
lionel>> a.bija> `-_---' `---_-'
lionel>> a.bija>  `--|o` 'o|--'
lionel>> a.bija>     \  `  /
lionel>> a.bija>      ): :(
lionel>> a.bija>      :o_o:
lionel>> a.bija>       "-"
lionel>> a.bija>A.bejan
lionel>> a.bija>
lionel>> a.bija>
lionel>> a.bija>_______________________________________________
lionel>> a.bija>
lionel>> a.bija>Newbie@XFree86.Org
lionel>> a.bija>*** To unsubscribe , or change message options, see:
lionel>> a.bija>
lionel>>
lionel>>
lionel>> Newbie@XFree86.Org
lionel>> *** To unsubscribe , or change message options, see:
lionel>
lionel>
lionel>Do You Yahoo!?
lionel>Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
lionel>http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com