[Newbie]Allocated colormaps and 4.2.0

Hi,

Having just upgraded to RedHat-7.3 which uses XFree86-4.2.0,  I have a
question regarding colormaps.

I have a colour depth of 8bpp (This is essential for the applications that
I want to run, upping the colour depth is not an option)

Under the previous version of X (4.0.3 in my case) I had no problems firing
up my application or any others in 8 bit mode, now I am finding that
regardless of the window manager I use, most colours have already been
allocated. For example I have started both mwm (with a plain background and
an Xterm) and KDE yet I still get the error
"cannot allocate colormap entries"
when starting a colour intensive application.
I can see with xcmap that a whole bunch of colours have been grabbed and I
would have expected this with KDE, but not mwm or twm.

What has been changed under 4.2.0? Am I missing some simple configuration?
This didn't used to be a problem and I really don't want to have to end up
with colour flashing.
My XF86Config file has not changed and neither has my hardware.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Iain