[Newbie]option resolution has no effect

Im really sorry if this question was asked before, but i couldnt find
any search-option on the mailinglist-page.
If there is any, please tell me where.
If not, please please please provide one.

Im using Xfree 4.1 with logitech mouseman+ (old) and Xfree 4.2 with
mouseman+ optical (new) both connected to ps/2. I tried different
protocols (ps2, imps2, mousemanplusps/2) but the option resolution has
no effect.
The man page says some mice dont support this option (or xfree doesnt
support it on some mice).
xset m is no alternative because ... i dont like it.
Fortunately i had the idea to use some of the mouse-speed-controls that
come with some desktop-environments, otherwise i know would find myself
running around trying to catch my own butt.

Im not really sure, but i think once i had this option using and it
worked.

Greetings,
Sascha