[Newbie]Error when executing startx

jack craig wrote:

> > > your DISPLAY=hostname:0 apparently isnt being looked up.
> > >
> > > what is your host name and is it in /etc/hosts?
> > >
> > > these others seem to indicate a missing library,
> > > find, load that and it should work better.
> > >
> > > hth, jackc...
> >
> > I have a single line in my /etc/hosts file.  It reads as follows:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> mine has only
>
> 127.0.0.1   localhost
>
> when i do env | grep DISP
>
> i get
>
> DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> i was going to say fix nslookup, but i find that my suse
> works fine without bind running.
>
> there is a .xsession-errors in my homedir, do you have one and are there
> errors in it?
>
> jackc...

I have no DISPLAY environment variable in my installation.  Executing

    # echo $DISPLAY

and I get zilch/nada/nothing.  When I execute this on my redhat 6.2 install
I get

    # echo $DISPLAY

        :0

Where is the DISPLAY variable set, i.e., in what file?  I don't have any
.xsession-errors file in my directory.  Probably because I installed from
source and have not yet succeeded in executing "startx" w/o error.

Jeff Stephens