[Newbie]S3 Savage 4 support? Or maybe not...

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Paulo Andre' wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the best place where to ask about card support
> in XFree86 (perhaps Xpert mailing list?).
>
> Anyway, I have an S3 Savage 4 video card and I wonder if my card is
> actually supported with XFree 4.2.0.  In the Driver Status file
> <http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status28.html#28>:
>
> (...) Support (accelerated) for the Savage3D, Savage3D/MV, Savage4,
> Savage2000, and SuperSavage, is provided by the "savage" driver (...)
>
> However, when I try to configure X 4.2.0 it says this card is basically
> UNSUPPORTED and support for it may only be given by the vga driver. So
> my question is, is it actually supported? I've been unable to properly
> get it up and running anyway...
>
> Regards,
>
> 	-- Paulo Andre'

It is supported for AFAIK 2D-acceleration but not 3D.  There are several
different variants of the Savage4 chipset, but they should all be able to
use the savage driver supplied in XFree86 4.2.  I'm writing this on a
machine with what "lspci -vv | grep VGA" tells me is a Diamond Multimedia
Systems Stealth III S540 (S3 Inc. Savage 4 (rev 02).  I know that it has
16Mb of memory, and that information enabled me to go to the Diamond
website:
http://www.sonicblue.com/support and find out what my chipset was exactly.
If you card is made by some other manufacturer, then go to their website
for further information.  There are also DOS utilities available from the
S3 website www.s3.com which are supposed to be able to make a good guess.
I've never used them.

The source of all information is really at Tim Robert's site:
 http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html
He's the guy that writes the drivers for XFree86.

HTH,
Oisin