[Newbie]xdm

I am having problems installing and/or running XDM.
I tried to install XFree86 4.2 on a kkFreeBSD machine - finally figured out
that ATI Rage IIC card is not supported. Reinstalled v. 3.3.6 & KDE3 & all
works fine.
Now, I installed XFree86 4.2 on a dual processor FreeBSD machine with 2 x
PIII 450's with the supported (if I am not mistaken) card ATI kRage 128 GL
AGP and KDE3.
As I understand it, I must either install the wrapper to use startx or use
XDM.
I have not tried the wrapper; but I have no luck starting xdm. I have read
and reread the configuration instructions on Xfree86 4.2 and on xdm. As I
am very new to Unix, I cannot figure out how to set up xdm and or Xfree86 4.2.
When I configure ttys, I get error message that getty (or something like
that) is being acessed too fast, retrying in 30 seconds - and it just
retries until reset kttys and redo kill -HUP 1.
Another error message: could not find screen.... :((
I have tried searching Google with no results.
I really feel stupid as nobody seems to have such elementary problems.
:(((((Can you steer me in the right direction?