[Newbie]help with 2 completely seperate monitor settings on one machine

hi all,
I'm running x windows on top of red hat linux 7.2 on an old Dell
Inspiron 3000 with a NeoMagic 2160 card and it works great... the only
problem is when I plug into my port replicator, the attached (Dell
M770) monitor displays only 'Signal Out of Range' once x windows
starts... console stuff runs just fine... I'm a linux/x windows newbie
(hence my subscribing to this list ;P) and I'm curious as to whether it's
possible to:

1. set up x windows so that it can work with two totally different
monitors with different horizontal and vertical sync capabilities, and
if so:

2. choose which configuration to boot into at start up (as far as
which monitor to use is concerned), or (even better):

3. detect whether or not I'm plugged into the port replicator or not
and boot with the appropriate h and v sync settings

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Clint

Clint Conklin
CreativEngineer
CreativEngine