[Newbie]DVI und CRT - X startup sets monitor to standby

Yes. The DVI Port on the monitor understands VGA as well as DVI. You get
two cables provided, one DVI->DVI and one VGA->DVI. Nec calles this
"ambix", but I guess this is just marketing and no real technical term.
Besides, the monitor has an extra VGA port, too, so you can switch
between both (if connecting to second PC, f.e.).
So, using VGA->DVI works, DVI->DVI does not work