[Newbie]RAM flooded

CRV§ADER/KY wrote:

> >16MB card, that's still not too bad.
> >
> But TOTAL RAM is still 128MB, and those 45MB are subtracted from it!

you are missing an important point i think.
that is, you may have 128mb of physical ram, but linux is virtually
paged memory. that is, the swap partition is used to swap in and
out large processes sharing the physical memory between many large
processes whose gross sum may be well above the physical memory.

naturally i should say that excessive swapping can be a performance
problem too, but a better solution is adding memory. i think most
folks will agree that video oriented hosts should be RAM rich.

jackc...

 is it a bug in top? How can I check the