[Newbie]help from downunder

Weaver Weaver wrote:

> slitt@troubleshooters.com
>
> Sir:            10.06.02
>
> I'm running Red Hat 7.1 on a Toshiba laptop and I'm having trouble finding
> all the config files to do with the mouse. Current error message is:
>
> Oops (): invoked from gpm.c 984 /dev/mouse I/O error

does /dev/mouse exist?
l /dev/mouse    to check.

> Now, I've bought all the thick books and have searched exhaustively on the
> net to find someone to help me, but I can't even get the mouse working in
> the Xwindows and shell at the same time. The latest is I've somehow deleted
> the /dev/mouse directory. I know of 2 config files, namely
> /etc/sysconfig/mouse and /etc/X11/XF86config but the question is, are there
> more?

whieo i cant answer this, i can say i have a working configuration
on suse 8.0 so if you pose more focused questions, i'll verify
based on my working config.

 Is it preferable to do it by hand or use programs like gpm? I think
> the trouble started when I ran gpm and selected the 'no mouse' option.
> That's when the directory went. XF86 starts up but the mouse is frozen.

any help/clues in the /var/log/XF*log files ?

> What I need is to know is how to get to all config file concerned with the
> configuration of a certain thing. There could be up to 5 or 6 sometimes,
> right? Hope you can send me some good links with easy to post on notice
> boards, etc, because I'm drowning here.

blub, blub isnt good! :)

seriously, if it were me, i'd start in the log files and if there
are errors there(and i suspect there may be), resolve those first.
then if its still not working, at least you know the startup is happy.

hth, jackc...