[Newbie](Really) BigFont problems

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:30:36 -0500 (EST) Matthew Caine Garrett
<magarret@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> I've done something to screw up my font handling in my xf86 4.1.0
> installation and now Star Office and Opera only attempt to display
> using characters a half an inch tall. Even on my 1600x1200 display,
> this is unreadable and it renders the applications unusable.
>
> I'm running Slackware 8.0 with the standard Gnome installation from
> that distro.

I'd be suspicious of this.

> I've upgraded to a 2.4.18 kernel, but I doubt that has anything to do
> with it.
> The Opera is the latest binary distro of 6.01.

Doubtful, but possible.

> I've tried to go through Programs>Settings>Gnome Control Center>Theme
> Selector>User Font and ...Gnome Control Center>Sawfish window
> manager>Appearance>Default font, but no joy getting my fonts back to a
> sane state. No other apps appear to be affected. I did an strace on
> both of them and the only thing I could see happening I didn't like
> was the write-ing of something to do with Xfree86-Bigfont to an X
> socket by the Star Office install script. I saw nothing out of the
> ordinary from Opera.
>
> Where could these apps be getting the idea I want my text a half an
> inch high, and more's to the point, how do I convince them otherwise?

Perhaps something is screwy with the font server configuration or, if
you don't use a font server, with the FonPath{s} in XF86Config?

What is the font path shown by

$ xset q

Mine looks like this (added newlines to prevent ungodly wrapping)
Font Path:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/

Kurt
--
What does it mean if there is no fortune for you?