[Newbie]font questions

Hi,

I am trying to configure XFree86 4.2.0 with Freetype 2.0.9 on FreeBSD
4.5-RELEASE (will update soon to Freetype 2.1.0 and FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE).
Could you please help me with answers to the following questions?

1. For my directory of TrueType fonts, I find that the file fonts.scale
generated by ttmkfdir is IDENTICAL to the file fonts.dir subsequently
generated by mkfontdir. Why leave two identical files in the same font
directory? After mkfontdir generates fonts.dir from fonts.scale, does
fonts.scale serve any further function? If not, can I safely delete
fonts.scale (after fonts.dir is made)? If not, in order to save space, can
I replace fonts.scale with a (hard?) (soft?) link to fonts.dir?

2. I have an old box with an S3 Trio64+ 86C765 based video card with 1 Mb
RAM. XFree86 4.2.0 auto-detects that card and runs the S3 64/32 driver.
When I run xdpyinfo, neither the RENDER nor the XINERAMA extentions are
listed. However, the X server log  /var/log/XFree86.0.log lists:
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER

What's going on? Is RENDER available for my video card or not? Can I use
anti-aliasing via Xft or not?

3. By aliasing "fixed" to Andale Mono, "sans" to Arial, and "serif" to
Times New Roman (all TrueType fonts), can I get by with ONLY TrueType
fonts, and delete the entire directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc ?

4. If so, can I do the font aliasing in (3) via either (a) fonts.alias
located in my TrueType font directory or (b) XftConfig?

5. If I do the font aliasing in (3) via XftConfig, will this font aliasing
be in effect even for applications that don't "know" about anti-aliasing?
In other words, do anti-aliasing "ignorant" applications still respect the
font aliasing done in XftConfig? Or do anti-aliasing "ignorant"
applications ignore XftConfig altogether?

Friendly Greetings,
Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
Umeå, Sweden