[Newbie]RH7.3 crashes with r128 driver (ATI xpert2000 32Mb)

I am running Redhat 7.3 (kernel  2.4.18-3) and have an ATI xpert2000 32Mb
video card.  I have been experiencing complete system lockups (ctl-alt
backspace won't kill the x-server, ctl-alt-F2 won't get me into another tty,
ctl-alt del won't reboot the machine).  When I have it set at 24 bpp or at 16
bpp, and open up three applications (a java app, Galeon web-browser...print
tab, and Forte (an IDE for java)), then my system just locks up.  Maybe other
combinations will crash the system, but I know that this one does for sure.

I checked the XFree86.0.log file after rebooting as single user and there
doesn't seem to be anything suspicious (am I looking hard enough?).  I have
played around with XF86Config-4 and have compared it with its counterpart in
Mandrake 8.1 which I have installed on another partition (and which seems to
work fine with 24 bpp).

Also, when I run Xconfigurator, I am able to make all of my selections but
when it tries to start the x-server, it just gives me a blank grey screen
with an X for my cursor.  How worried should I be about this?

I am now at a loss as to what to do next.  Has anyone experienced similar
problems?  What can I do next to further diagnose this problem?  Should I
spend more time trying to get Xconfigurator working correctly or should I be
working directly with XF86Config-4 file?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is an excerpt from XF86Config-4:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "ATI Rage 128"