[Newbie]help needed on X configuration SiS 630 redhat 7.2

Hi Samantha,

Firstly, you need to switch from XF86_SVGA to the 4.1.0 server, as per
Lionel's reply.

After that, there is a newer driver for the SiS chips available. Thomas is
actively working on it, so you should be able to get your problems sorted
out. You can get the newer driver from:
     http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml

Cheers,
Graham
--
Graham Stoney
Programming Team Leader

                    "Samantha
                    Rugge-Price"          To:     newbie@XFree86.Org
                    <manfie@hotmai        cc:
                    l.com>                Subject:     [Newbie]help needed on X configuration SiS 630 redhat
                    Sent by:              7.2
                    newbie-admin@X
                    Free86.Org

                    30/04/2002
                    01:44 AM
                    Please respond
                    to newbie

hiya all,
Desperately need help, I'm new to this and I'm having trouble installing
XFree86 ; - I've got a VM8000 seris Samsung notebook, SiS 630 chipset,
14.1" TFT XGA 1024x768/32 integrated display.

I'm trying to install XFree86 4.1.0 using Redhat 7.2 and when I use
Xconfigurator, the PCI probe finds these settings:-          SiS 630
chipset
                                        X server: XF86_SVGA
                                        default xfree4 driver
     For the monitor setup (I have tried almost all the combinations but
     this one seems the most logical) I use generic laptop display panel
     1024x768.
     Video mem: 16mb
     no clock settings
     video modes: 24bit 1024x768
I have tried almost every possible configuration option, I always get about
3/4 of the screen displayed and flickering with bad resolution. Any
suggestions??

Does the XFree4.1.0 support the SiS 630 chipset??

Also I have searched high and low for the horiz sync frequency and vertical
refresh rate, and would love any feedback....

cheers
Sam