[Newbie]gcc tool won't install

When I try to install 'gcc' into the system I get a
failed dependancies error message (glibc_devel is
needed by gcc-2.96-54). When I check to see which of
the kernel building tools I have installed [syntax"rpm
-q kernel-headers glibc-devel binutils cpp ncurses
ncurses-devel make kernel-source" from what I can
gather are the ones I need] I am told that gcc has not
been installed yet.
The strange thing is, this is the rpm file I am trying
to unpack?!?!?
The syntax I am using is:
 rpm -ivh gcc-2.96-54.i386.rpm

Can someone tell me how this error is being generated
if the file is'nt yet installed! Or point me in the
right direction if I have my syntax wrong perhaps.....
Steve Luter
:/
infernalsly@yahoo.com