[Newbie]Redhat 7.2 (XF86 4.1.0) and Voodoo2

I need help getting a Canopus Pure 3D II setup in Redhat 7.2.  I've downloaded and installed the Linux-ix86-glibc22 binaries as the utility to report the correct version to install results in "no XFree86 4.2.0 version available for this version of Linux" (something to that effect).  The installation of these binaries resulted in KDE being unusable.  When I log in I'm dumped to the X GUI (I assume).  I've read that it is recommended that X shouldn't be running during installation but, being a newbie, I have no idea when it is or isn't.  Is the graphical login using X?  Is there a way to login via the graphical login and be dumped to the command line?  I have yet to find a good process for installation.  Redhat doesn't have an update to XF86 4.2.0 yet.  I'd really like to get this working.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup