[Newbie] i810 Display goes blank and remains so till reboot (FreeBSD 4.5, XFree86 4.2)

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:05:41 +0530
"Ashish Kulkarni" <kulkarni@vsnl.in> wrote:

> I just compiled XFree86-4.2.0 and whenever I run it, the startup
> messages scroll by and then the display goes totally blank. It does
> not show the crosshatch pattern normally seen (no WM/desktop installed
> yet). Even if I kill the server using Ctrl-Alt-backspace, the display
> remains blank until I reboot. Even If I swicth consoles, nothing
> happens.

Ooh.  I was going to suggest that the X server is trying to use a mode
that the tube can't handle, so it shuts itself down.  Then I scrolled
down thru your log to see what mode it had selected, and what DDC had
reported.  Is that really the end of the log?  Can you rlogin (telnet,
ssh) and see if the X server has crashed or is just hung (might be
useful for the bug report)?

You didn't say anything about what kind of monitor it is.  My guess is
there's some sort of bug in its DDC (Plug'n'Pray) implementation that
causes it to crash and take the X server with it when the X server tries
to identify the monitor.  Do you have another monitor you can try?

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html