[Newbie]Video card and monitor detected properly, but X does not work

I was reading the recent posts about this problem with an
ATI Rage 128 not working, and it was not resolved.
I just bought a similar card, called "ATI Xpert 128" which claims
to use an ATI Rage 128 with 16 Megs of memory.
I was doing a fresh Red Hat 7.2 install using this ATI card.
Using RedHat's graphical installation works fine, so I knew
the card was capable of running at least under some driver
(maybe RedHat uses standard VGA during install?)

But once I got rebooted and running, X would not start. Running
Xconfigurator correctly identified "ATI Rage 128" and the 16 meg memory.
But no matter what, X would not start because of "no devices found"

Looking at the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, the failure seems to be shown
on the line which says "PCI 0:11:0 ATI unknown chipset (0x5050) rev 0.

I saw a trick posted in Feb 2002 on this same list, that if I force another
chipset ID by adding a line in XF86Config under Section "Device" saying:
ChipId    0x5246

then it seems to work fine.
This is not the right solution but works for me temporarily, but what
should
I do so that this particular card can be added to a database somewhere?
It is a new card (2001 anyway) that I just bought.
Also let me know if anyone wants to see the whole log file. I didn't
want to
waste space on it needlessly.

Thanks,

John Cirillo