[Xpert][Newbie]Why no RGBA visual in XFree 4.1 software Mesa?

Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:

> I'm trying to get Perl's OpenGL support working on my systems, which do
> not currently have hardware acceleration support under Mesa.  However,
> Perl's OpenGL support requires an RGBA visual, but for some reason the
> visuals available under software Mesa (the one builtin to XFree 4.1) are
> all RGB-only for me.

> Anyone have any clue what's going on?  As far as I can interpret the tea
> leaves, it looks like I'm really running with 32-bit pixels, so I don't
> see a problem there . . . .

I'm not suprised that software OpenGL doesn't support RGBA - my
experience is that most of the effort goes into hardware OpenGL.

I'm not sure whether it could be added easily;
it may be that the drivers don't honour those bits, since they
could be used for something else, such as an overlay.
This *might* mean that the server has to tell Mesa about
two different sorts of depth24/fbbpp32 visual.

I am suprised that Perl's OpenGL requires RGBA; when I was using
OpenGL heavily the A channel was an optional extra, even on many
graphics workstations.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison		Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk	http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna