[Newbie]Re: Linux Graphical Installer that works with Digital LCD Panel - Solved

I solved the problem I originally had by doing the following:

1) Used Mandrake 8.2 standard distribution to install and its graphical
installer used some mode that worked fine during the setup procedure on my
LCD without special prepartion, HOWEVER,
2) The defauly "nv" xfree86 driver it selected just wouldn't work for
DVI/digital output, no matter how many different monitor configurations I
tried.  When I started X/KDE for real on reboot, the monitor just went
wacko. Therefore, I had to reinstall Mandrake, being sure to tell it to NOT
start the graphical environment automatically. Then...
3) I downloaded the "nvidia" proprietary driver from nvidia and followed
standard directions to install it from the command line. I edited my
XFconfig-4 to change "nv" to "nvidia" on the "Driver" line and used XFdrake
to reselect my monitor and now I can run X/KDE fine.
4) in closing, I also learned that with XFree86 4.x forward, modelines
aren't necessary in XFconfig unless you have a very non-standard resolution
or timings. Instead, this info is computed on the fly, according to the
modeline HOWTO.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I believe the core of the problem is that the nv driver isn't smart enough
to detect that there's monitor only on the DVI interface, not the VGA plug,
so it's just sending garbage there or nothing at all.