[Newbie]What on earth is xfree86 and how do you use it

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:30:31 -0700
Gerald Wilson <gerald_wilson33@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, taking a risk here asking the most basic of basic questions: what
> is this?
>
> I had to install xfree86 with fink for some reason (I needed tcl and
> apparently it depended on xfree86??)
>
> Anyway, xfree was 50 meg or so, and I have no idea what it does.
> Something to do with x windows but I've never even seen such a thing.

XFree86 is an implementation of the X (version 11) client/server
protocol for graphical user interfacing that was developed as part of
the Athena project at MIT in the mid 1980s.  The cool thing about X11 is
that you can run your finite element model (or whatever) in San Diego or
Pittsburgh or wherever you can get some time, and see the results on
your workstation on your desk as it's running.  Gamers don't like it
because it trades off a little performance for that networking ability.

If you use any real Unix software on your Mac or on the 'net I think
you'll find that XFree86 is a very nice thing to have.

Tcl alone doesn't need it, but Tk, the GUI Toolkit that comes with Tcl,
needs it.  What will you be doing with Tcl?

> Assuming that it is installed, how do I run it?

The Fink kit should have instructions for that.  I'm told it works
seemlessly with MacOS 10.

> Please cc: a reply directly because I'm not on this list.

It's easy to subscribe and unsubscribe.  Instructions are at the bottom
of each message on the list.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html