OT: geeks and ATI was Re: [Newbie]Radeon 8500 + DRI/DRM = ? doesit work?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Dexter Filmore wrote:
[snip]
> only a minority for Linux. Those who ain't online and use UN*X based
> OS's to get work done i.e. at a company will prolly run commercial UN*Xs
> for better and quicker support and won't use XFree, furthermore these

Linux *IS* a commercial *NIX (this also applies to *BSD btw)in several
varieties of its distributions with excellent support.  Better and quicker
support than RedHat's corporate offerings?  I don't know about that,
perhaps you have some means of backing up that statement?

> machines ain't meant to run games and if their intended to proceed
> sophisticated 3D graphics for simulation and the like they'll highly
> likely have professional high end GL boards installed that have

Point taken.  But many people doing high-end 3D graphics are scientists
that like to run Free OS's because they're that type of person and also
because they use them for the floating-point intensive number-crunching in
their work.  So, one woould need to know how large/small an audience that
is before writing them off as negligible.  I don't have any data on that,
do you?

> commercial drivers shipped with card. So why waste money on setting
> aside a coder for programming drivers for a handful of guys who wanna
> play Tux Racer on their machines. The better place to start IMO are the

Depends on how large the hobbyist home-user market is in reality.  If
there are a couple of hundred thousand in that "handful of guys" and they
have to decide "What do I want as a decent GPU in my dual-boot, nvidia or
ATI?" then ATI can steal a march by dedicating $60K to a coder for a year.

> Hmyeeessss but this is against the idea of an free and open OS, isnt't
> it - solutions like this rather apply to the above mentioned companies,
> I think.

Yes, but the original poster has a card, wants to run XFree86 (I don't
know if he's *BSD or *NIX or whatever) so that he can run his underlying
OS and this is an unpleasant but pragmatic solution.  Ideally he would sit
down with the source and code-up a driver in a sweaty, 97-hour,
caffeine-fuelled hackathon and GPL it to great applause, but this is the
Real World (TM).  So, again, advice to the original poster:  either don't
use the card (the morally pure option which may also work out cheaper) or
use the proprietary non-Free, non-free driver which will cost both your
wallet and your soul.

And in general: if planning on installing a Free OS of some sort then
check out the supported hardware before buying an expensive new item.

-Oisin