[Newbie]LCD blooms|blossoms|overdrives|burns

I'm trying to get my laptop to display on both the LCD and an external CRT.

Often the setting will cause the LCD to start rapidly brightening, with it
appearing to burn in.  I don't know what to call this.  It looks bad, so I
immediately power it off (ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't kill it, so X probably
isn't running far enough along to do that).

What causes this?  Is it really as bad as it seems?  :-)

I'm tempted to hypothesize that this is caused by driving the LCD at a higher
res/rate than it supports, but it's not clearly the case, because I can
sometimes get it to work (it=driving the CRT at a higher res than the LCD),
but it seems to depend on whether the LCD and CRT are both initially on (via
Fn-F8).

TIA!
--
==Leonard E. Sitongia
  Visualization and Enabling Technologies / Scientific Computing Division