[Newbie]X server problems

--- pemo <pemo@highfactor.com> wrote:
> No one of my questions was answered.
> Well, what's the symptoms? The screen is dark, and I
> could work only in the
> text mode. No X-windows, no gnome desktop, etc. That
> what I meant that X
> server is not working.

By screen being dark, do you mean that the X server
seems to hang on a blank, dark screen, or that you
can't start it up at all?

> There are error messages,

Try starting X with the following command:

startx > error.log 2>&1

This will redirect the info that X normally writes to
the console--including error messages--to a file named
error.log. Save error.log to a floppy so that you can
read it under Windows. I'd also suggest running the
command "unix2dos" on the file error.log, so that it
doesn't read as some big long line in Windows. (You
can install unix2dos from its Red Hat 7.2 RPM. Look in
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS in either of the installation
CDs. It will be on one of them.)

Once that's done, post the contents in a reply to this
message, possibly along with any other info you
scrounge up.

=====
-- I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool. --