[Newbie]Jumpy display problem...

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 06:17:56 -0500
"William Evanson" <evawil823@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using X 3.x before and just compiled the source for
> 4.2 on my 4.3 FreeBSD box a week ago or so.  I love the way that
> it plug and played itself to my video card and setting, but
> my screen is a bit jumpy.  The scan lines on my screen seem
> to jump around in different areas when the Xserver is running.
> Does anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this problem???

What's probably happening is that the automatic configuration of XFree86
4.2.0 is just a bit too aggressive about giving you more pixels than
your equipment can happily manage.

Near the end of /etc/X11/XF86Config, in the "Screen" Section, add a
"Display" SubSection that specifies only the modes that worked well with
3.3.6, and that you want to use.  What I have is:

        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes   "1600x1200" "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection

But you will, of course, substitue the numbers that work for you.  The
first mode specified is the one that is used by default.  [I need to get
rid of that "1280x1024"; I never switch modes so I shouldn't configure
more than one.]

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html