(Update) [Newbie]Wacom driver breaks virtual console switching & exits from X?

--- James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> when XFree86 (ver. 4.1.0) is set up to
> use
> the Wacom Intuos, switching to a virtual console and
> back to X causes X to appear frozen, sometimes with
> band of colorful garbage at the top of the screen.
> From what I can tell, everything still works, but
> the
> graphics on the screen are frozen and I have to type
> things blindly.

>From what I can tell, switching virtual consoles kills
X. I did the following:

1) Started X by typing startx > error.log 2>&1
2) Switched to a virtual console
3) Switched back to the console (screen?) on which X
was displayed (Console 7 in Red Hat)
4) Switched to the console from which I started X
5) Typed "startx"

One of the last lines in error.log is

xinit:  connection to X server lost.

X must have crashed when I switched consoles (and
probably failed to cleanly switch the console back to
text mode).

Maybe I can attach gdb to X or something?

=====
-- I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool. --