[Newbie]ATI Radeon 7500 XFree86 4.2

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:20:58 -0800 (PST)
Benjamin Franks <benjamin@dzhan.com> wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.5 and want to upgrade from XFree86 3.x to
> XFree86 4.2 because I recently picked up a ATI Radeon 7500 AGP card
> (support by X4.2).  After upgrading using the Xinstall.sh script, I
> tried to configure my XF86Config file.  The "XFree86 -configure"
> option didn't work for me as it generated a XF86Config file that
> resulted in out-of-frequency ranges for my monitor.

The automatic configuration seems to be perhaps a bit aggressive at
pushing the resolution envelope  ;-)  Take the config file that it
generated and add something like this to the "Screen" Section (near the
end):

        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes   "1600x1200" "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection

Specify only modes you know your monitor can do, and that you want (I'm
using a Riva TNT2, don't know what Depths your Radeon likes).  Look
through the log file for the data on which modes XFree86 automatically
selected and rejected, and what it thinks your video board and monitor
can do, then specify a mode that's just less than the one it chose
automagically that didn't work.

Another useful tool, if your monitor has it, is the on-screen display
where the monitor shows what mode it's actually running.  Use
Ctl+Alt+<keypad + and -> to cycle through the modes, and when you see
something you like, find out what it is with the on-screen display, than
put that first in the "Display" SubSection so it will come up as
default.

>  I tried to use
> the xf86config utility but don't see the ATI Radeon 7500 card listed
> in the video card listing...?

XFree86 4.2.0 reports so much good stuff in its log file (if you have a
Plug'n'Pray monitor) that you should have no need for the crude earlier
configuration utilities.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html