[Newbie]Problems getting X running: 'fixed' font error

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:42:55 -0600 (CST)
Curry Taylor <arceyemm@InsightBB.com> wrote:

> 	I know this might be a dead horse by now, but I've struggled
> 	with this for a while:
>
> 	I'm (trying to) run XFree86 4.2.0 on a FreeBSD 4.5 box with an
> Intel chip. The error I get when I run X (via X, XFree86, or startx)
> is:
>
> 	Fatal server errror:
> 	could not open default font 'fixed'

Hmmm.  That sounds like a permissions problem.  Used to be the log file
under /var/log that was the first complaint that killed it.  Anyway,
does this happen if you run startx as root?  Did you install Xwrapper?
Have you tried xdm?

Google for FreeBSD, Xwrapper, and xdm in the archives of this list for
earlier this year, and you'll find explanations for it all.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html