[Newbie]XF86 4.2.0 /etc/ttys ?

Can't help you with your etc/ttys
As far as Ctrl-Alt-F# this is the way to switch between consoles when you are in X:
if you are alone in X (i.e. only one tty console and one X open then Ctrl-Alt-F1 will bring you
back to the standard tty console and from there Ctrl-Alt-F7 back to your X console.
If you have more consoles open (two logins and two X) then Ctrl-Alt-F2 gets you to the second tty
console and Ctrl-Alt-F8 to the second X console...

just an aside if X is not running then you switch between consoles with Alt-F#
As far as the wrapper is concerned, it is a security feature so that you don't need to be SU in
order to start an X session. If you are alone on your machine you may want to ignore it (at your
own risk) some distributions don't use it, some others do...

Lionel