From: Ted Spradley [mailto:tsprad@spradley.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 April 2002 9:05 AM
To: newbie@XFree86.Org
Subject: Re: [Newbie]X with NO desktop?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:35:56 +1000
Darren Ward <darren.ward@nttaus.com.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've asked before and I'll try again.
>
> I want to run a X-Server on a host so that I can x-term a session with
> it but want the console on the host itself to be command line only.

I don't quite get what you mean.  Many PeeCee-based Unix like systems
(e.g., Linux, BSD, Solaris) allow multiple virtual terminals.  You
switch among them with a key sequence like Ctl+Alt+F1.  For example, on
my FreeBSD workstation, Ctl+Alt+F1 switches to the (text-only) console
on ttyv0 and Ctl+Alt+F9 switches to ttyv8 which runs the X server.
ttyv1 thru ttyv7 are accessible similarly, and I can run an rlogin or
ssh session to different hosts on each of them, or I can run multiple
xterms on the xserver, with either the xterm client on the other hosts,
or the xterm running on the local host and an rlogin or ssh session
running in that.  I'm also running an xconsole X11 client to monitor
console messages on the X server.

If none of those can solve your problem you'll have to tell us more
about your problem.

Or are you confused about which is the server and which is the client?
The server is the part that "owns" the keyboard, tube, and mouse.  xterm
is a client.  You can certainly run clients on a host that is not
running a server.  You have to tell the X server to allow connections
from the other host ("man xhost"), then start the client (e.g., xterm)
on the other host with $DISPLAY in its environment, or a -display
command-line argument that specifies the display on the X server host.

Does this help?

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html