[Newbie]Can't install Mandrake 8.0!

Hi,
During the install process (just before starting to actually copy the
packages to the disk) , MDK 8.0 crashes. Since it isn't installed i don't
think that it has a place where it can leave behind error logs (i could be
wrong though). I have copied as much of the post-crash screen as i could
capture. This is what it says :
------------------------
(--) FBDev: MMIO regs: OK @ (nil)
(--) FBDev: Type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 16
(--) FBDev: FBDev Hardware accelerator: None
(--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
bpp = 16, BitsPerRGB = 6
(--) FBDev: Using cfb16 driver
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 0.
Entering step 'Choose your language'
Entering step 'Select installation class'
Entering step 'Hard drive detection'
Entering step 'Configure mouse'
Entering step 'Choose your keyboard'
Entering step 'Security'
Entering step 'Setup filesystems'
Entering step 'Choose your keyboard'
Entering step 'Setup filesystems'
Entering step 'Format partitions'
Entering step 'Choose packages to install'
Entering step 'Install system'
segmentation fault: seems like memory is missing as install crashes
install exited abnormally :-( -- recieved signal 11
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
unmounting filesystems...
         /tmp/image
         /tmp/stage2
         /proc/bus/usb
         /mnt/mnt/win_c
         /mnt/mnt/win_d
         /mnt/boot
         /mnt/proc
         /proc
         /mnt unmount failed
failed to unmount some filesystems

-----------------
(that's it) and then it just halts  and you have to hit the reset. I'm
guessing that it could be a fault with the video RAM. I don't have the
resources nor time to test it though. Can anyone help me in determining what
the cause of this strange error is? Or at least what's 'recieved signal 11'
?
I got some advice from this guy who made me get a new hard disk just to
realise that the disk is not the problem (grr).

My configuration:

iP3 on 1000MHz
384 MB RAM (1x256 and 1x128)
QDI SynactiX 5ep v2 board
nVidia GeForce2 PRO w/64MB ram (MSI brand)
60GB IBM Deskstar HDD (7200rpm 2mb cache)
(the new hdd - previous was a WD Caviar 10GB)
DLink 10mbps network adapter
soundblaster 128

That's it!

Thank you for any advice.