Question about xdp: how to figure out the throughput is limited by pcie

Dear XDP experts,

Hope this email finds you well!

I am a PhD student at Rutgers. Recently, I have been reading the XDP paper "The eXpress Data Path: Fast Programmable Packet Processing in the Operating System Kernel". In section 4.1 and 4.3, you mention the throughputs of xdp programs (packet drop and packet forwarding) are limited by the PCIe (e.g., "Both scale their performance linearly until they approach the global performance limit of the PCI bus"). I am curious about how you figured out it was the PCIe limitation. Is there any tool or method to check this?

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks,
Qiongwen Xu