Re: XDP and AF_XDP performance comparison

Hi Federico

Sorry for not replying to this sooner, I just fished it out of my pile
of unprocessed email while I was winding things down for the holidays...

>> Finally, since you seem to have your tests packaged up nicely, do you
>> think it would be possible to take (some of) them and turn them into a
>> kind of "performance CI" test suite, that can be run automatically, or
>> semi-automatically to catch future performance regressions in the XDP
>> stack? Such a test suite would be pretty great to have so we can avoid
>> the "death by a thousand paper cuts" type of gradual performance
>> degradation as we add new features...
>
> I would be very happy if my work could benefit the community. Please let
> me know if you have any idea or guideline on how my testing suite could
> be integrated in the XDP environment, I guess the xdp-tools repo could
> be the ideal target?

I'd be happy to consider your tool for inclusion into xdp-tools, or into
a separate repository under the xdp-project github organisation if that
fits better. I think that will mostly depend on how much surrounding
setup code is needed to run the experiments: the utilities in xdp-tools
are mostly fairly lightweight standalone binaries, so if something more
is needed a separate repository may be better.

As for how to structure the test utility, that's hard to say off-hand.
But one important consideration is making it easy to run (so as few
assumptions on the environment as possible), and easy to automate (so
that we ideally can use it as an automated CI-style test for performance
regressions).

Hope that helps! :)

-Toke